We begin today’s post with one of the most used elements in the packaging sector: the pallet. In this post we are going to detail the different regulatory requirements depending on the packaging needs that we can find.
In the logistics – transport – packaging sector it is common to request “certified pallets”, what does this certificate refer to?
Well, this certificate usually refers to the phytosanitary certificate unless otherwise specified, this certificate as we have seen in previous posts is required in the field of international transport and must incorporate a marking on the pallet itself. This marking certifies that this pallet has received the required treatment and is suitable to be imported by a third country according to the international treaty ISPM Nº15.
An example of this marking is shown below.
As for the standardization according to ISO/UNE/EN, we list below the most important ones, which define geometries, materials, dimensions,… and other important aspects of the pallet:
- ISO 3676 Sizes and dimensions.
- ISO 445 Material handling pallets
- ISO 15629 Pallets for material handling. Quality of fasteners for new and used assembly.
- Pallets for material handling. Repair of flat wooden pallets (ISO 18613:2014).
- UNE-EN 13626:2003 Containers and packaging. Box pallets. General requirements and test methods.
- EN 13382 Pallet for material handling. Main dimensions.
- UNE-EN 13698-1 Specification for the production of pallets. Part 1: Specification for the construction of flat wooden pallets of 800 mm x 1200 mm. Part 2: Specification for the construction of 1 000 mm x 1 200 mm flat wooden pallets.
- ISO 18334 Pallets for material handling. Quality of assembly of new wooden pallets.
Finally, there is another widespread certification for pallets, in this case the 1200x800mm, this certification is managed by EPAL, the European pallet association and defines the construction form of the pallets. They must be properly marked and the manufacturer must be licensed to manufacture this type of pallets.
As we have seen, this widely used packaging system is regulated by different regulations, we must identify which one is required and then select the right pallet for our needs.