Returnable packaging is a solution that more and more companies incorporate into their supply chain for its environmental and economic benefits.
Depending on the material, we can classify the different types of returnable packaging into three groups: wood, metal and plastic.
In this post we describe the most common returnable wooden packaging and its advantages.
Advantages of wood as returnable Packaging
Due to its strength, wood continues to be one of the most widely used materials in packaging for the transport of large or heavy goods. It also acts as a thermal and acoustic insulator and is highly resistant to fire. It is a durable, reusable and 100% recyclable material.
For this reason, wood packaging is considered one of the most sustainable and highest quality for export.
In this regard, it should be remembered that wood packaging for export is regulated under the International Standard for Phytosanitary Measures ISPM-15, which requires treatment to prevent pests.
What are the most commonly used returnable wooden transport packages?
There are different designs of wooden returnable packaging to adapt to any merchandise.
The most common are:
- Foldable packaging made of processed wood board and wood, Clipping Crate ® model. It is a model of high quality reusable box, patented by 360 Eco Packaging. It has a simple and ergonomic assembly and disassembly, without tools. It minimizes transport and storage space when not in use.
It can be manufactured in different types of wood boards (mainly plywood, OSB3, MDF and chipboard). The Clipping Crate® is standardized in its dimensions and can be made to measure. It has a replacement service for damaged parts for all its ranges.
- Folding wooden box. It is made of plywood board with steel reinforcements on the sides, which allows the box to be folded. It is reusable, stackable and available in different sizes.
- Pallet collar. It is a modular packaging composed of wooden rings that allow the height to be modified as required. They are made of pine wood boards joined by galvanized steel hinges, which are stacked on a pallet.
This returnable wooden packaging solution stands out for its simple anchoring system and its ability to be reused. The frame is collapsible, which represents an efficient alternative to save costs in storage and transportation.
It is an economical, resistant and durable packaging model, as it can have a useful life of up to 10 years. It is replaceable. If a fence is damaged, it can be quickly replaced by another of identical characteristics.
To prevent the entry of dust or rain, specially designed covers are available for this product. It is available in standard sizes and can be made to measure.
- Wooden pallets. Wooden supports with boards with or without separation between them and wooden blocks or slats at the base to facilitate the transport and mobility of the load. Wooden pallets can be open or closed, with two or four entrances, blind, reversible or reinforced to support heavy loads. They are available in standard sizes and can be made to measure.
- Wooden Cages for Packaging. Packing provided with wooden boards, with a construction system similar to that of a wooden box, but with a greater separation of the boards from each other, which makes it lighter. They are manufactured with metal reinforcements so that they can be disassembled and reused. Standard or custom-made.
If you want to know how to reduce logistic costs with a returnable packaging, please contact our technical department. We will study the most suitable solution for your product and logistic process.